Online Blackjack for NZ Players
Online blackjack is one of the most popular casino games today. To help you understand this game, we have prepared this resource guide for you. Whether you are a beginner in the industry or you are looking to boost your understanding of the game, then this guide can help. At its core, the purpose of the game to build the best hand and beat the other players. The magic number here is ‘21’ and you need to make sure that you get that or close to it to win the round. Just like other casino games, online blackjack has an element of luck. But with some information and skills, you can increase your chances at the table!
Top Picks for the Best NZ Casinos for Online Blackjack
NZ$250 Bonus + 100 Wish Spins
Wishmaker casino is an amazing fresh and fun Casino offering $250 and 100 Wish Spins!
100% First Deposit bonus up to $100 and Second Deposit bonus, 50% up to $200
100% up to NZ$100 Welcome Bonus
NightRush Casino is a New Zealand online casino that has more than 500 casino slots and games.
200% Bonus up to AU$1500 + 25 free spins
Bondibet is an online casino that takes Maori players and has more than 500 casino slots and games.
200% bonus up to NZ$500 + 50 free spins
Casimba is one of the newest online casinos with a massive NZ$500 bonus and 50 Free Spins!
$500 Bonus + 70 Free Spins
Omni Slots Casino is an online casino that accepts players from NZ offering a massive bonus and 70 free spins.
Introduction to Blackjack
Blackjack is one of the most popular games to play. Its popularity is primarily attributed to the ease of gameplay and simple rules to follow. In this casino game, the main objective is to beat the dealer by holding a card value that’s better than the dealer without exceeding 21. Cards are assigned respective values and they are added during each round. If the hand value exceeds 21, then it’s considered a bust which leaves the player as the loser. If you can score a 21, it’s called a blackjack. But if both the player and the dealer gets a 21, it’s considered a draw and the player gets back his bet.
If you want to play the game confidently, then you need to pay attention to some general rules. For example, you should know the basic rules and the smart conditions on when to split cards. It’s also important to know a few basic strategies when it comes to increasing your bets and doubling down. Finally, a player should know how to play with limits and in a responsible manner.
In this game guide, we take a look at the rules of the game. Specifically, this article will cover the values assigned to the cards, the tips, and betting strategies.
Card Values in Online Blackjack
If you want to play blackjack, then you need to check out the values assigned to cards:
- Aces have a value of 1 or 11
- Cards from 2 to 10 retain their face values
- Royal cards get 10
- Card colors are not considered when playing blackjack
- A 4 and an ‘Ace’ is reported as a 5 or 15
- Blackjack hand without an Ace is known as a ‘hard’ since it features a single value
- A hand that features an Ace that changes in value is known as a soft hand
Some Tips and Tricks to Keep In Mind When Playing Online Blackjack
- Know the situations where it’s best to stand. According to top players, it’s best to stand when the value equals to 12 to 16 with the dealer’s hand at 2 to 6.
- Split when necessary. It’s recommended to split if you hold 2 Aces or 2 8s.
- Stand with 19. This is a great hand to play in online blackjack.
- Hit or double with Aces to 6. You have a soft hand if it features Aces to ‘6’. This can help you increase your chances of winning.
- Always check out the dealer’s hand. Experts recommend hitting if the hand value is equal to 12 to 16 and the dealer boasts a 7 to Ace. In this situation, the casino dealer has two options on how to win:
First option: The Ace can assume the value of ‘1’, pushing the total to 8.
Second option: The Ace gets a score of 11, and if the player hits and get a card value of 10, the value becomes 21.
Betting Strategies to Keep in Mind When Playing Online
Before you play in real money, it’s best that you review the different betting strategies that you can use in the game. Here’s a look at the different strategies you can use.
- Standing. This is a betting strategy of players who are contented with the hand value and don’t want to add another card.
- Hitting. This is an option for the player who wants to take another card on top of the 2 cards dealt by the dealer.
- Double down. This is the betting option for the player who wants to double his bet after receiving an extra card.
- Splitting. If the player received identical cards, he has the option to split this into two hands.
- Surrendering. As the name suggests, the player surrenders and lose half the bet.
Some Variations in the Rules that You Should Know
This game is known for several variations in rules and each casino may implement its own rules. Before you play, it’s best that you know some of these rules.
Dealer Hits a Soft 17
This happens if the casino dealer has 2 cards, the Ace and 6, and if you decide to hit, you have a good chance of getting a value better than 17 without busting. This works in favor of the player since he can hold a hand with a higher value. Whenever possible, always look for a table where the dealer is allowed to stand on 17.
If the dealer has announced a blackjack, the player has the option to surrender with a penalty amounting to half the bet. This is an option in many blackjack games in online and traditional casinos.
Re-splitting of Aces
Under this rule, the Ace and 10 is not considered a blackjack. The advantage here is in the house at 0.06%.
Dealer Wins Ties
If both the dealer and the player have the same value, the dealer wins the tie.
Blackjack Pays 6-5
Under this rule, the player gets $6 for every $5 spent. This may seem like a ‘small change’ but this works in favor of the casino. Instead, look for a casino that plays 3:2 for a natural, blackjack.
Double Down is Only Allowed on Hard 11 and Hard 10
This works for the player if the card value of the dealer is lower. If this rule is not adopted, the casino advantage is increased by 0.2%.
Doubling Down is Allowed After Splitting
This rule varies and its recommended to check the Terms and Conditions of the casino.
Number of Decks Used
The number of decks used will depend on the casino or the specific blackjack variant to be played. Traditionally, popular blackjack games will use from 6 to 8 decks of cards.
This betting decision is often allowed in many casinos under the following conditions:
- Dealer’s Ace against a hard 5-7
- Dealer’s Ace against a hard 12-17
- Dealer’s Ace against a pair of 3s, 6s, 7,s or 8s
- Dealer’s 10 against a hard 14-16
- Dealer’s 10 against a pair of 7s or 8s
So What Are the Different Types of Blackjack Games that You Can Play?
Blackjack is a classic casino game that’s available in different types and variants. If you are interested to play, keep in mind that you have three general ways on how to play. Described below are your options when you want to play online.
- Land-based blackjack. This is the most popular option for players. Under this option, you get a chance to visit a casino and play against other players and the dealer.
- Online blackjack. When you visit an online casino, you will play against a computer software, with the Random Number Generator (RNG) deciding the cards to be played.
- Live blackjack. This is your real casino action that is hosted online. Even if you play online, you get to play against casino dealers in real-time.
What About Mobile Blackjack and Free Demo Games?
You can also enjoy this casino game anywhere even if you are on the move. This is mobile through the use of casino or blackjack app that you can install on your phone. To enjoy this feature, simply find an online casino that allows you to download a mobile app for iOS or Android operating systems. Your phone should have mobile data or the internet to access the app and the game. Another popular way to play blackjack is through its free demo available online. Many casinos offer a free demo version of blackjack. With a free demo game, you can play blackjack for a few rounds using free credits. To play, simply click on the link and wait for the game to load.